Picture this: you’re an eager eBay entrepreneur who’s decided to dive into a new business venture. You rush through the small details without giving them much thought, only to realize that you used “HappyBusiness2019” as the username. If this happened on any small social media website, it’s not a big deal. But if you want to establish a strong reputation on big platforms like eBay, it’s time to change your eBay username.
eBay, one of the world’s biggest shopping websites, is known for its auctions and consumer to consumer sales. If you’re interested in starting an online business or expanding your business, eBay should be on top of your list of potential marketplaces. Also, if you want to make a great impression on this marketing platform, consider your username.
A clean and professional one gains the trust of potential customers. If your initial username does not reflect your current business, Operation eBay Change in Username is your next course of action.
NOTE: eBay users are automatically assigned usernames. Often, these are long and indistinguishable letters and number combinations. You can, however, quickly change your display name, which is viewable to customers and trading partners.
Here’s how to change your eBay username.
How to Change eBay Username 101
- Visit the eBay website from any web browser.
- If you’re not signed in, click on the “sign-in” link at the top-right-hand of the website. Sign in with your email and password.
- Once you’ve signed in, click “My eBay” in the upper right-hand corner of the website. Next, click on “Summary” from the drop-down list. This will take you to your account’s details page.
- If this is your first time changing your username, you would see the name eBay assigned to you close to the top of the page. Below, you’ll see previous orders and tracking information, along with your current bids and recently viewed items.
- Next, click on the “Account” tab located under your eBay username.
- On the Account page, click on “Personal Information,” which sits under the “Personal Info” section, along with feedback and addresses.
- Once you’re on the Personal Information page, click “Edit,” which is on the far right side of your screen, besides your current username and “User ID” in the adjacent column.
- When prompted, clear your current username and type in a new one. Then, click on the “Save” button.
- The simplest and most common user IDs are already taken. So try to be unique with your username.
Can You Change eBay Username on iPhone?
You can’t change your username on eBay from the iPhone app. To change your username, for whatever reason, you must access the desktop mode from your mobile device.
Here’s how to replace your old username on eBay:
- Go to the eBay website through your browser
- Sign in to your account
- From the menu, click Request Desktop Site
- Then click your name on the left-hand corner
- Click Account Settings from the dropdown menu
- Click Personal Information from the Personal Information sections
- Click the Edit button
- Change your eBay username accordingly, and hit Save
What are the Conditions for eBay Usernames?
You can’t just choose any username on eBay. If you’re getting started on branding, know that how you name your business online matters.
Consider the following:
- Your new user ID should at least be six characters long.
- Your new user ID should only contain letters, numbers, asterisks, dashes and periods. However, you cannot place a hyphen, period or dash at the beginning of your username.
- Your new username should not contain elements with details from another sellers’ trademark or the eBay name. Also, avoid using consecutive dashes, the letter “e” preceding some numbers and obscenities.
- Before, eBay used to allow its members to create usernames with their email addresses. Now, the website does not allow users to do so.
- Finally, your username should not include business advertising details, such as website addresses and phone numbers. Leave them out.
How Do I Choose My New eBay ID?
Your new user ID can be anything, but as mentioned above, you must be wiser with your selection. Consider choosing a username that tells a little about your business. If your interests change, however, you may regret having a restrictive username.
To choose a proper new user ID, consider the following:
- Refrain from using names with a negative connotation.
- eBay does not allow using spaces in usernames. Make sure your user ID makes sense when you put two or more words together.
- If you want to use short words for your username, use a hyphen or underscores to separate them, as in lovely-bakery-Hayward.
- Your username should not be a good clue for your password. For example, if you use Marco as your user ID, Polo should not be the password.
What Happens If I Change my eBay Username?
Changing your eBay username shouldn’t be a rash decision. Once you change your user ID, you can’t have your old one back. Also, when you change your name on eBay, there’s no guarantee that your current customers will easily find you when they search for your old username on eBay.
eBay will show a small icon beside your new username whenever it is displayed on the site (on your feedback page, in an auction and so on). This indicates to other eBay members that you recently changed your user ID. You’ll have this icon for 14 days.
The icon may cause hesitation with some bidders, so if you experience a reduction in the number of bids at your auctions, don’t worry. Once your bidders recognize that it’s you, you’ll regain your eBay credibility.
Also, you can only change your ID once every 30 days, so sudden decisions to change usernames are not an option. Be sure that you want to change your user ID first. eBay does not allow using your old username.
Another thing to note: mind your spelling. Correcting typos is not an option for at least 30 days.
Can I Change My eBay Username and Keep Feedback?
Some eBay users are hesitant to change their user IDs, worrying that they will lose their feedback or compromise their feedback scores. Fortunately, there’s no need to worry.
Your feedback will remain just as it is. It will be displayed under your new username.
Changing your user ID, however, is not the perfect escape plan for eBay users who wish to gain anonymity from their past. If you want to change your username for illicit reasons — too many negative feedback or failure in delivering quality products and services —know that a user ID change will not help you.
eBay’s internal user ID history can hold anyone accountable for their trading practices online, whether they change their username or not.
Other Considerations Concerning Your eBay Username
- Why should I change my user ID? Your eBay username is your brand name, among many things. If your ID is vague or ambiguous (e.g. “User20192”), you will lose sales to a more trustworthy brand. eBay is no stranger to sellers with awkward usernames, and yours doesn’t have to be a part of their list. Changing your username into an ID that makes sense or is connected to your business helps you stand out. So if you’re considering changing your name, think of one that is catchy and memorable.
- What are the other ways my username can contribute to my business’s marketing? Apart from serving as your brand name, your user ID is a landmark for customers who want to know your background as a seller. Beside your username is the “me” button, which links back to your About Me page. Some buyers look into a seller’s About Me page first before they make a purchase, so make sure your user ID points back to your About Me page.
- Will my customers still recognize me if I change my username? It depends. If your customer added you to their watch list or bookmarked your page, they will most likely recognize you. As mentioned above, eBay adds a small icon to your ID once you make the changes. This notifies all members that you recently changed your ID.
- What happens if I have multiple eBay IDs? Some eBay users create multiple usernames in the hopes of increasing their sales or their chances of winning auctions. Having multiple accounts is not against eBay’s rules, but be sure to check the website periodically to see if there are changes in this rule.
Build a brand for your business via eBay! Your eBay username is a customer’s gateway to your business. Lead them directly to you with a credible user ID. If your current username does not represent you, it’s time to make a change.